Thursday, May 28, 2015

In The Kitchen // Kitchen Essentials vol. 2

The more time I spend in the kitchen cooking and baking, the more important the tools I have become. Over time I have definitely learned what is not as much as a necessity as other things. For example, having an Avocado to cut and smash your avocado is not nearly as important as the plastic half that keeps it fresh and stops it from browning.


I have also found myself swimming in kitchen items and not using many of them because they are packed leaving me to be crafty about what tools I do have that can do the same thing. Here is a round up of tools that I have found to be super important in the kitchen when cooking and baking.

Pastry Scraper While this is most used for working with things like biscuits and breads, I love to use it when I am coking as well. It can be great for scooping up veggies that you have diced. I used to use the side of the knife to scrape them up with, but once I got a good set of knives and learned that it was bad for the blade I stopped. I also find this great when you are baking to scrape things up and cut them up since pastry type doughs can be tough.

Measuring Cups & Spoons Measuring cups and spoons are so important when it comes to cooking and baking. Trying to make breads or cookies without exact measurements is a nightmare when you are still learning! I am also learning about how when you scoop things like flour with them, you are most likely getting an inaccurate amount of ingredient since it packs it into the cup!

Nested Mixing Bowls These are my all time favorite mixing bowls. What makes these bowls more special than any others, is that they are high rimmed and have a rubber bottom which stops them from sliding all over your counter. I find these have worked better than any bowls I have tried. You absolutely do not need to rush out and buy these, but I would definitely look for bowls that are high rimmed and have a rubber coating on the bottom!

Cookbook Stand A couple weeks ago I was wandering around Crate and Barrel and stumbled across this cookbook stand and instantly feel in love. I have been looking for some kind of cookbook stand for months and never found one that I really liked. What sold me on this stand was the plastic cover and also that it flattens out when you are not using it. Not only does it keep your cookbook from closing on you when you're using it, but it also protects it from any food that may inadvertently end up on the pages.


What tool has become most important for you in the kitchen? Is there one tool you recommend people get? Share it below!


2 comments:

  1. I would have to say a good chopping knife, less frustration and saves you time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nested mixing bowls are my fave! I've been working on our registry for the wedding and it's been so much fun to add all the kitchen items I'll need/want. I definitely want to get a cookbook stand. That would be so helpful!

    ReplyDelete