Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Foodie Resources

As much time as I spend in the kitchen cooking and baking, I spend more time reading and learning about cooking and baking. I have such a thirst for knowledge when it comes to recipes and kitchen skills. If I had the opportunity to go back to school, I would enroll in a culinary institute and become a chef. That is until they ask me to debone a fish and then I will be high tailing it out of there! The thing that makes each chef stand out is there ability to take a basic skill and put their own flair on it. There is a textbook way to make scrambled eggs but there is also the Curtis Stone way of making scrambled eggs. The best way to learn how to make a dish and master the basics is to continually read about it.


The Kitchn // You may more recently know of the cookbook they put out, but did you know that it stemmed from a website? TheKitchn.com is full of tips, reviews and recipes. I added their RSS to my Bloglovin feed and read the articles over time since there are so many. I love how they cater to both beginners and advanced foodies so that everyone has a take away from the website.

FoodGawker // This website is a lot like Pinterest in that it features images that link through to other pages. I come here a lot for recipes, but I also love to look at it for inspiration. The images draw you in and make you want to just devour the entire page.

The Cooking Channel // I could spend hours, maybe days watching The Cooking Channel. There are so many great new shows on The Cooking Channel that I could probably devote a whole post just to that. I love that they focus on foodie things more so than Food Network which has more novelty shows. The diversity of chefs and types of foods has something for everyone.

Food Network Magazine // Every month I want and wait to get this magazine in the mail. It is filled with articles and recipes and reviews that feed a foodies soul. By the time I have read the entire magazine, there are almost no pages left because I have ripped everything out to save! My favorite part are the mini mags that have been featured for a while now, with 50 variations of whatever is featured on the cover. There has been 50 Deviled Eggs, 50 Cupcakes and 50 Popcorn recipes more recently. You can pull these out and save them as a great resource to make variations on your favorite dishes.

Coles Youtube Channel // I just happened to stumble upon this one day searching for Curtis Stone videos. Then I watched the video for making scrambled eggs and was instantly hooked. This is a lot lot watching a show on TV, but you can stop and pause and rewind and revisit as many ties as you want to! You can easily even cook along with him if you would like. This great series that they do with Curtis Stone is filled with How To's for recipes and kitchen skills. The best part you ask?...Curtis Stone is a dream boat and I could watch him cooking a listen to him talk in his Australian accent forever.


What is your go-to foodie resource? Where do you look for recipe inspiration?


5 comments:

  1. I have not heard of the Kitchn - I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, great resources! I love finding new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post! I love finding new resources, and definitely am not the most experienced cook! Thanks for sharing :]

    ​xo katie // a touch of teal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, thank you! =) I usually use Pinterest and AllRecipes to find inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome! I love Pinterest and the Kitchn, and Food Network is pretty much the only channel I ever watch. I never look around on their website though, so I'll definitely do that! Thanks for the tips :)

    ReplyDelete