Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Food Blogger Goals

This past Saturday I went to a Blog Design Workshop hosted by Madison from The Wetherills Say I Do and the North Carolina Blogger Network and I left feeling so inspired. Madison had so many great tips on how to focus your blog design around your brand. This gave me the push that I need to decide it was time to give my blog an overhaul and move to WordPress. This also got me thinking about my Blog Goals and how to center my content around being a Food Blogger. Here are five food blogger goals that I have for this year and tips that I think can help any blogger who posts food recipes!


Recipe Card Plugin- One of the main reasons I want to make the move to WordPress is the Recipe Card plugin. I want to make it as easy as possible for my readers to access the recipes that I post. This plugin neatly organizes the ingredients and instructions together into a recipe card and then can also give users the option to print the recipe. This conversion will keep your recipes in front of your readers eyes more often, driving traffic back to your website.

Food Blog Forum- Community is so important when it comes to being a blogger. Having a network where you can share ideas and bring people together to talk about their passion is such a fun part of being in the blogger community. Food Blog Forum is one of the best known Food Blogger conferences. Two of my favorite bloggers anchor this conference; Julie Deily of The Little Kitchen and Lindsay Landis of Love & Olive Oil. Some of the topics they covered at this years conference include Food Photography, Pinterest Best Practices and New Monetizing Strategies.

Food Photography School- It is so important in Food Blogging to have eye catching photos. John and Dana at Minimalist Baker offer courses on things like Styling, Composition and editing. All of the courses are online videos that you can learn at your own pace. There is a lot to learn about food photography and it can be a huge help in giving your posts an extra boost.

Food Blogger Link-Up- I could spend hours looking at all the different food blogs I love. One of the things I would like to do is a weekly collab/link up post! This is a great way to network and bring other Food Bloggers together, but also to shine some light on the delicious recipes that everyone has!

Utilize Pinterest- This is a Food Bloggers best friend. Since I have started to optimize my posts to be Pinterest friendly the traffic I have been driving from Pinterest has doubled. The idea behind Pinterest is to get your content in front of as many eyes as possible to increase the chance of someone wanting to click through to view the recipe. It is also super important to remember that your boards are a direct extension of your brand. Remember to pin content that is relevant to your brand so that readers who follow you are invested in seeing what you pin.


Do you post recipes on your blog? What is the most helpful tip you have learned?

17 comments:

  1. I am still trying to customize my food recipe plugin. I haven't quite gotten it to where I want it to be but here's to hoping I figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice makes perfect! I'm sure I'm going to find myself in this boat trying to learn how to use it as well haha

      Delete
  2. I love having a recipe plugin! I post about 4/month (once a week) and it makes it SOOOOO much easier! :) Great goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't know why I didn't make the switch sooner since it makes so much sense for me to have it!

      Delete
  3. It was so good to see you again at the blog design workshop! :) I think these are amazing goals and very specific, perfect for keeping you going! It's getting me inspired to think of specific goals I want to accomplish, instead of being all over the place. I bet the recipe plugin will be so helpful when using WordPress, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to see you too! It was so helpful to get everyone's feedback and it gave me the push I needed to take everything to the next level. Can't wait to see your goals!!

      Delete
  4. Great goals! I can't wait to see your recipe cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! Be sure to come back in the next few months as I make the transition.

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried the recipe card plugin, but I need to check it out! I didn't like the one I was trying to use before! :x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until I have this feature on my blog. It is so helpful and makes your recipes look clean and organized.

      Delete
  6. Great post! I am a newer food blogger and still trying to find my way around the food blogging world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great networks for Food Bloggers! Make sure you Check out the link up hosted by A Savory Feast called Hump Day Happenings.

      Delete
  7. I'm so excited to hear how the event made you think deeply about your blog and its future! So excited for you switch to Wordpress! Yay! Also, have you taken the Food Photography School course yet? I am in the middle of it (haven't done it in a while) and have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited too! I haven't taken it yet but have heard so many great things about it and I have SO much to learn about photography in general let alone Food Photography.

      Delete
  8. These are great tips! I occasionally post recipes on my blog, but I would definitely not consider myself a food blogger. I have horrible photography skills and I'm not super creative in the kitchen! :P However I would like to share my knowledge of healthy eating and making simple meals and I know blogging is a great way to do that. I've looked at the course they offer on Minimalist Baker and it looks great! Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ariana that's how I started out! That sounds like a great idea to share your healthy eating and simple meal recipes!

      Delete
  9. This is awesome! These are some goals I have been working on as well. The Food Blogger Forum is a conference I'd love to go to. I wanted to go this year, but it sold out really quick and I didn't get a ticket. It's definitely a goal of mine for next year, so I'll try harder to be sure I get a ticket.

    ReplyDelete