Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Citrus Pudding Cakes + Lighten Up Y'all

I have wanted to start expanding my baking repertoire and have been trying to work up the confidence to make Souffl├ęs. I'm just not there quite yet. When I saw this recipe for Citrus Pudding Cakes, it looked like a good place to start! The recipe uses a lot of the same techniques that you would need to use to make Souffl├ęs. I was also drawn to this recipe because it uses citrus and I have been wanting to make something with Grapefruit.


Since moving to North Carolina I have seen so many amazing southern dishes with flavor combinations I have never heard of. The only downside is that everything is so rich and high in calories. As much as I would love to eat my way through the state, I try to be conscious of what I am eating. in 'Lighten Up Y'all' by Virginia Willis. The tag line of the book is "Classic Southern Recipes made Healthy and Wholesome," and that's exactly how all of the recipes are in this book. 'Lighten up y'all' is filled with mouth watering recipes that won't make you sorry you ate them!


Citrus Pudding Cakes

Ingredients

1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh mint
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
Confectioners sugar for dusting

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray eight 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins with nonstick cooking spray; place them in a large deep baking dish. Put a pot of water on to boil for the water bath.

Whisk 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar, the flour, and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the milk, grapefruit juice, butter, egg yolks, and mint. Whisk until smooth.

Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl with an electrical mixer on medium speed until soft speaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy peaks form. Fold the egg white into the batter. Evenly divide the batter among the prepared ramekins placed in the roasting pan.

Place the roasting pan in the oven and carefully pour in enough boiling water to come almost halfway up the sides of the ramekins.

Bake the pudding cakes until golden brown and the cakes have slightly pulled away from the sides of the ramekins, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the ramekins to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.


What recipes have you switched out ingredients for to lighten it up?


Disclaimer: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review, however all views and opinions are 100% my own.

15 comments:

  1. I loved this book! Since moving out here, it's made me kinda sad that southern food is often synonymous with super unhealthy. :x There are a ton of recipes I want to try from it! :] These pudding cakes look so good! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is something I always struggle with. I would eat my way through the South if I knew it wasn't going to filled with not healthy foods haha I love that there are alternative recipes out there that still let you indulge!

      Delete
  2. Great blog! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are those how they turned out when you made them? looks like they came out great! If I could reach through me screen and grab them I would, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like an awesome cook book! I love grapefruit, so those look divine.

    Elle
    Southern Elle Style

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm you wanna send me one? kthxbye

    ReplyDelete
  6. These loo delicious!! I think I need that cookbook asap!! I love southern food but most of the time it is so bad for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried baked goods with grapefruit in it! Looks so good I am going to have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh this looks so light and airy, and really just FUN for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound delicious! I really need to start baking and cooking with grapefruits more. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this recipe baking with Grapefruit sound Devine, light and perfect for a cool summer night with light drink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so fresh and a perfect dish for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delish! I love that cookbook BTW. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete