Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Cinnamon Buns + Milk Bar Life

I have probably said this a million times but I love getting new cookbooks. I probably should have gone to school to be a cook because I just love to read and learn about different cooking techniques. I wish I could spend more time just cooking and baking and have unlimited resources for ingredients. There are so many new recipes I want to try, but if I make it once and it doesn't come out right I instantly want to try and make it again. Baking with yeast has been the hardest thing for me to learn to use.


It was so hard to choose which recipe I wanted to make out of Milk Bar Life. I have been wanting to tackle making Cinnamon Buns for quite a quite a while now, but knowing that recipes with yeast are not something I make well, I have stayed away from them. I've been so inspired lately that I thought this would be the perfect time to give them a try. If were being honest, it was a toss up between these and the Nachos!! All of the recipes in this book look amazing. Christina Tosi is so imaginative in what she pairs together and how she puts together a recipe.


These Cinnamon Buns came out so fluffy and delicious! The one thing I did notice is that the tops will start to brown faster than the inside cooks. I would suggest covering with aluminum foil once they have slightly browned on tup and then let them finish baking. It is a neat process to watch the ball of dough rise and then to roll them up and watch them double in size once in the pan. Make sure not to overcrowd them, otherwise it will be a big sticky mess and you won't have those perfect looking Cinnamon rolls!


Cinnamon Buns












1. Start with den bun: whisk together the warm milk, water, and yeast in a small bowl. Your liquids should be about 100-110 degrees and you do not need to fully dissolve the yeast. Once it starts to activate it will look like it is clumping together. Let sit until foamy, 5 minutes or so.

2. Combine the flour, granulated sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook and mix together on low speed. Add the egg, egg yolk, butter and the yeast concoction and mix until the dough comes together as a thick, sticky mess. This should take 6 or so minutes.

3. With a rubber spatula, scrape the dough out onto a work surface and form it into a smooth ball. Put that glorious ball into a greased-up bowl, seam side down, cover it with a kitchen towel, and set in a warm, draft-free spot (like a microwave or turned off oven) to rise for an hour, or until it's doubled in size.

4. While the dough is rising, make dat goo: Mix together the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl.

5. Grab that poofed dough, punch it down, and put it on a well-floured counter. Use a rolling pin or wine bottle to roll it into a 16-inch square. Spread the cinnamon goo enemy over the surface, then roll the dough up into a big, tight tube, making sure to keep all the filling inside.

6. Using a sharp knife, or pastry cutter, slice the tube into 12 rounds, each about 1 1/3 inches thick. Arrange the rounds cut side down in a 9x13-inch baking dish, leaving 1 inch between them. Let them rise for another 1 to 2 hours, until they've doubled in size.

7. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the buns for 20 minutes, or until they are just starting to brown on the edges.

8. Meanwhile, make the cream cheese frosting: Combine the cream cheese and butter un the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on high for 1 minute. Add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and salt and mix on low to combine, then whip up a fury on high for 2 minutes, or until the frosting is a pale white and incredibly fluffy.

9. Remove the buns from the oven and, while they are still warm, spread the frosting generously over them. Serve immediately, and watch as they disappear before your very eyes.



Disclaimer: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review, however all views and opinions are 100% my own.

11 comments:

  1. Mmmm looks delicious and your photos are perfect. Im not the most talented cook so a cookbook that has lots of photos is always my preferred choice so that I can see what it should look like :) What are you going to try next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, how I would LOVE one with my coffee right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I curious to try them but I'm afraid they will not turn out that great! I love anything cinnamon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look SO amazing!!! And beautiful photos too

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cookbook looks crazy awesome. I am loving the photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love homemade cinnamon buns and this recipe sounds awesome! Big cinnamon buns slathered in frosting reminds me of a place I frequented growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The icing on those looks marvelous! I don't often get a chance to make this kind of thing since I am in such a hurry in the morning, but I think I should make a point to slow down and make these some weekend very soon! Thanks for sharing. ~s

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy toledo this looks SO SO SO good!! I love your recipes and food posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Cinnamon Buns, actually anything Cinnamon!. Need to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. D-damn, you've totally perfected those! <3 They look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete