Thursday, May 14, 2015

10 Summer Cooking & Baking Classes

There is so much to learn when it comes to cooking and baking. While your basic skills are great to have for a solid foundation, it is great to be able to build upon them. One of the ways I have been looking to do that is by taking cooking and baking workshop classes. Sur La Table is my go to for all things cooking and baking when it comes to learning. They have over 30 classes a month with varying themes for you to sign up for.

These classes are mostly all hands on so you are learning while doing. It is the perfect way to try and learn new skills while having someone there to hold you hand and walk you through the tough parts. The teachers can also give you tips and tricks to getting those recipes just right. Here are 10 classes that I have my eye on for this Summer.


French Patisserie I have really wanted to hone my skills when it comes to French baking. I talk about doing this a lot because there are so many delicious things to make. The menu for this class includes Raspberry Macarons with Earl Grey Ganache, Lemon Lavender Sable Cookies and Chocolate Dipped Madeleines!

Croissant Workshop This specialized class in on the top of my list because if you don't already know, making pastries is no easy task. This is one of the baked breakfast goods that are my go to when i visit a French Bakery. The menu for this class includes Croissant Dough, Classic Croissants, Chocolate-Filled Croissants and Morning Buns.

Fresh Summer Pastas There is no comparison between handmade pasta and what you buy in the store. I feel like making your own pasta is an art. I would love to be able to make my own raviolis and try different flavor combinations! The menu for this class includes Homemade Pasta Dough, Roasted Red Pepper Fresh Pasta Dough, Linguine with Pancetta, Peas and Mint, and Pappardelle with Basil, Roasted Tomatoes and Shrimp

Healthy Mexican from Scratch I love Mexican food. If I could eat tacos and guacamole every single day I would. I love how fresh the food is and how vibrant everything looks put together. The thing I love about this class is that it talks about technique and flavors. The menu includes Fresh Tortillas, Tacos Al Pastor, Roasted Corn Chop Salad and Chipotle-Lime Grilled Shrimp.

Basics of French Macarons This is on the absolute top of my list of things to learn how to make. These light and delicate treats are so pretty and taste just amazing. There are so many different combinations you can do between the cookie and the filling. I have heard that these are not the easiest to make so taking a class is just what I need! The menu for this class includes Strawberry Macaron with White Chocolate Ganache. Lavender Macaron with Honey Buttercream and Pistachio Macaron with Lemon Buttercream

Date Night: Great Food on the Grill Summer and Grilling are synonymous to me. I can't wait for the weather to get warm enough to start grilling outside. There is something special about food that comes off the grill. Weather it's the char or the idea that it has been roasted over an open flame, it makes the dish extra special. The menu for this class includes Grilled Kale Caesar, Grilled Steak with Chimichurri Sauce, Grilled Artichokes with Lemon Aioli and Grilled Bread with Roasted Strawberries, Brie and Honey.

Sushi 101 I love Sushi. Ok let me say that again...I LOVE Sushi. Making it at home is no easy task. The first roll I ever tried to make looked horrible but at least it tasted good! This hands on class to learn about rolling Sushi is a must for anyone who wants to be able to make it at home. The menu for this class includes Sushi Rice, California Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, Vegetarian Rolls and Hand Rolls.

Summer Jams & Preserves I started learning how to make Jams and Preserves two Summers ago. This is a tricky thing to try and make. Like Yeast, you have to get the pectin levels just right or your Jams won't jell. It is also one of the most rewarding things to make once you have jars filled with delicious spreads. The menu for this class includes Honey-Strawberry Jam, Spiced Cherry Chutney and Ginger-Lemon Marmalade.

Learn to Cut Like a Pro If you are just beginning to learn how to have better skills in the kitchen this class is for you. You will learn the basics of cutting and all about cutlery.

Pie Shoppe Making pies is something I love to do because once you share it with others, it feels like you are sharing a piece of yourself. I love how they can be made year round no matter what ingredients you use. The most important part is making your own crust and if you haven't learned to do this you definitely want to! The menu for this class includes Lattice Top Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie and Cherry Hand Pie.

3 comments:

  1. These would be so much fun! I would love to learn how to make fresh pasta or macarons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife loves this place.. she keeps talking about taking a class to learn how to cook something different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to take a cooking/baking class at some point in my life! <3 I would be all over that "Healthy Mexican From Scratch" one! <3! And although I know how to make sushi, I'd be all over the sushi class too, because...yay sushi! :]

    ReplyDelete