Thursday, April 23, 2015

Papel Picado Coasters

I have been wanting to make DIY coasters for years and never got around to it. Mostly because I could not decide which ones I wanted to make because if you look on Pinterest the possibilities are endless. I have always loved the paper pieced Mexican paper flag garlands that you see strung together in all different colors. It reminds me a lot of cutting a paper snowflake and stringing them all together. When I saw the idea of putting that same kind of design on a coaster, I instantly fell in love like the emoji with the hearts over its eyes.


Here's What You'll Need:

-Mod Podge
-4 Plain Ceramic Tiles (I got mine from Home Depot!)
-Tissue Paper
-This Template
-A Paint Brush
-Felt Sticky Dots
-Masking Tape

Directions:

1. Print out the template on a piece of paper and then cut a square around the section you need leaving a margin so you have something to hold onto as you cut it out.

2. I took two pieces of tissue paper at a time, cut into approx. 5x5 squares. Make sure you measure the size of your coaster so that the design fits right! Tape the template to the tissue paper and fold in half. This way when you make the cuts, they mirror each other.

3. Begin cutting out shapes by folding in lines down the designs. It takes more time if you do just one thing at a time, but I found it to be more precise and a lot easier to cut then folding it several times and making it thicker. The design is so intricate that one wrong cut and it will rip! Patience is key so be sure to take you time and you will wind up with a beautiful design.

4. Remove the template from your design and unfold your tissue paper.

5. Center a tissue papel picado on a ceramic tile. Lift up one side and apply a thin layer of mod podge. Gently press into place. Lift the remaining paper and paint the rest of the coaster with mod podge. Slowly press down the tissue paper into place and smooth out any wrinkles. Paint a layer of mod podge over the top, and repeat with remaining coasters. I applies 4 coats to make sure that they were protected and a little more resistant. Let dry 24 hrs.

6. Apply felt sticky dots to the bottoms of the coasters.



I love the pop of color and unique design of these coasters! You can make them in all kinds of colors and designs. If you are feeling creative, try and make your own pattern! Want to give these as a gift? Package them together in a berry basket for easy storage!

6 comments:

  1. Your coasters came out adorable. I love all the bright colors, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I've been thinking about making some patterned ones too to interchange them.

      Delete
  2. So cute and festive! Pinning to share! http://quirkybohomama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete