Wednesday, April 22, 2015

How To Sharpen Your Kitchen Skills

Last week I was having a conversation with my coworkers about how when you try a new recipe and it says to stir something a specific way or to chop, mince or dice or vegetables and you have no idea what that means. While most people only want the basic skills to cook at home, I know a lot of people who want to hone their skills and be more confident when trying a new recipe.


When I started cooking on my own, I would just pick a recipe that looked good and work my way through it. I didn’t care what the proper technique was; I just wanted it to taste good. Now I have been so eager to learn more and refine the skills that I already have. I am investing more time and money into learning instead of buying new utensils and it is starting to pay off. Here are 5 Ways that you can Sharpen Your Kitchen Skills.

Read Cookbooks- I have a shelf full of beautiful cookbooks that have the most delicious recipes. The ones I go to the most are the ones that talk about technique, skills and tips to make your dish delicious! There is a lot to learn from those famous chefs on the cover of your favorite cookbook.

Watch Videos- The Cooking Channel and The Food Network are two shows that I watch constantly. Even if you don’t like the recipe they are making, pay close attention to the skills that they use. You never know when it will come in handy! I also learned a lot from searching for famous chefs on Youtube as a lot of them have great tutorials. I learned how to scramble eggs from Curtis Stone off of a Youtube video!

Take Classes- One you get to the point where you are ready to take your skills to the next level, I would suggest taking a hands on cooking class. Sur La Table offers these year round, with varying themes for each class. They have Knife Skills 101 for beginners and French Cuisine Meals for more advanced students. It is really helpful to have someone showing you how to make a rue for gravy and being there to answer questions as you go.

Cook with Friends- If you have a group of friends that love to cook and try new food, invite everyone over and try a new recipe! Chances are someone will be able to share a skill that you didn’t have. It is great to be able to share you knowledge with friends and to encourage others to try and cook themselves.

Practice Makes Perfect- I can’t stress this last one enough. Do not get discouraged when something you make does not come out right. My best advice is to keep trying and learning so that you know what to do next time. I can’t tell you how many times I have tried to work with Yeast and cannot get it to rise. I still am working on mastering that and will continue to make loaves of bread that do not rise until one finally does.

What one skill is a must have for you in the kitchen?

12 comments:

  1. My mother in law got us two Sur la Table classes for my birthday and I can't wait to take the class after we move!! These are great tips, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait to see what class you choose. There are so many great options.

      Delete
  2. I love watching the Food Network to learn things! That's where I learned almost everything I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am currently hooked on Trisha's Southern Kitchen and Southern at Heart with Damaris Phillips! Favorite southern ladies!

      Delete
  3. I love watching cooking videos! I've learned so much from them over the years. My favorite series (so far) was Gordon Ramsay's Cookery Course. It's all back-to-basics stuff but he explains everything so well. I believe most of them are on Youtube. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that one I will have to look it up!

      Delete
  4. Combining classes with friends is a lot of fun AND super helpful! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've wanted to do this too. Especially a Sushi making class!

      Delete
  5. These are great! I think the #1 thing for me was to just keep doing it. Practice definitely does make perfect. Someday I'd love to take a class for something like sushi making or pasta making. That would be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been keeping an eye out for both of those classes! Until then I will keep rolling sushi and having it taste good and look funny haha

      Delete
  6. I love cookbooks. But I'd say practice is why I've gotten so good cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent more time trying to make the same thing over and over instead of trying new recipes!

      Delete