Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Tortilla Soup

Back when I worked in New Jersey, I would go to this place called The South Street Creamery for lunch at least 3 times a week for soup. Each day they would feature a different soup, and the best part is that they were all made with healthy ingredients. The soup I loved the most? If you guessed Tortilla Soup you are so right! This soup is the BEST Tortilla Soup I have ever come across. It is a perfect blend of spicy broth, cheese, avocado and tortilla strips. The down side was that this soup was only made maybe once or twice a month. I would check the website for the daily soup everyday to see if they had it on the menu.


Ever since then I have searched the internet far and wide to find a recipe that would even come close to that. I probably should have asked the chef for it before I moved out of state because I have not been able to get my hands on a cup in all the times I have been back to NJ to visit! I finally decided that it was time to buckle down and get a recipe together that could take its place.


The cool thing about this soup is that you can make it two different ways depending on how you like your soup. If you follow the recipe below the soup will have the consistency of a tomato soup. Instead, you could omit the tortilla strips and just blend the tomatoes, broth and spices. Then add the tortilla strips when you are serving with the rest of the toppings. Either way this soup will keep you warm in the winter.

Tortilla Soup

6 Tbps. Olive Oil
8 Corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1 Onion, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, smashed
1 Tbsp. Paprika
2 tsps. Cumin
1 tsp. Coriander
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1/4 tsp. Cayenne
6 C Low-sodium Chicen Broth
3 cup(s) Crushed Tomatoes in Puree (one 28-ounce can)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. Salt
Avocado, diced
Cheddar Cheese, grated

Heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add half the tortilla strips and cook, stirring, until pale golden, about 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Be sure not to overcrowd the pot so they brown evenly. Repeat with the rest of the strips until all are cooked. These do go stale the next day so I would suggest only making what you need for the day, and then cooking up a batch for the next time you serve! Adjust the oil appropriately.(3 Tbsp./4 Tortillas)

Reduce heat to low. Add the onion, garlic, and spices. This mixture tends to get dry so I added just a drizzle of Olive Oil to keep it from burning. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, and half of the tortilla strips. Bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes; remove the bay leaves.

Puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender or blend in batches in a blender. Bring the soup back to a simmer, about 1 minute. Top bowls of soup with tortilla strips, cheese and avocado.



2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love tortilla soup, but I've never tried making. Your recipe sounds really yummy. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Tortilla Soup is one of my favorites!

      Delete