Thursday, January 22, 2015

Deviled Eggs + My Perfect Pantry

Ever since I was a little kid, Deviled Eggs were a staple at every family gathering. On weekends if there were eggs left over from the week, I would hard boil them to make Deviled Eggs. These are a 'finger food' must if you have not already tried them! The Food Network Magazine even thought they were worthy of their own pull out recipe booklet featuring 50 different flavor combinations. They are also a great dish to make if you are asked to make a dish unexpectedly because more likely than not you already have all of the ingredients necessary to make them.


In 'My Perfect Pantry' by Geoffrey Zakarian you get just that: Recipes that can be made with ingredients found in your pantry. From 50 Essential Pantry Ingredients he brings you 150 different recipes! A well stocked pantry is key when you are cooking so that you are always prepared to make a dish. The ingredients that he talks about are not the specialty items that you would need to make any specific dish. There are recipes from items such as Vinegar, Rice, and Canned Tomatoes.I bet if you went and looked in your pantry right now you would have most of the ingredients he talks about.


When I saw there was a Deviled Egg recipe that looked simple with ingredients but complex with flavor, I had to try it. The most classic way of making Deviled Eggs includes on the yolks, mustard, mayonnaise and paprika. This recipe calls for three other ingredients as well: Tabasco, shallots, and chives. I love how the Tabasco adds that depth of heat without it tasting spicy. It is there for flavor more than anything else. The shallots bring a soft onion flavor with a nice texture as well to an otherwise mushy filling.


Deviled Eggs
6 Large Eggs
2 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard
2 Dashes Tabasco
1 tsp. Shallots, finely minced
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbsp. Fresh Chives, chopped
Paprika, for garnish

Place the eggs in a medium saucepan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove the eggs to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. When cooled, peel the eggs and halve them lengthwise. Carefully scoop the yolks into a medium bowl.

To the yolks, add the mayonnaise, mustard, Tabasco and shallots. Mash with a fork until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Mound the yolk mixture back into the whites with a spoon. garnish with chives and a sprinkle of paprika.

What ingredients are always stocked in your pantry?




Disclaimer: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review, however all views and opinions are 100% my own.

11 comments:

  1. I love your new blog name! I'm excited that you will be focusing more on cooking. This book sounds really good! I need to order my next book from Blogging for Books, and I've been trying to decide which one to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna! It has been such an exciting change! I wanted to get the Clean Slate book that you talked about because that looked so good, but it won't let me :( haha

      Delete
  2. LOVING the new blog, LOVE you! P.S. I might have to make some deviled eggs today. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should start doubling all my recipes and just send them your way!!!

      Delete
  3. I love your blog layout!! I also love Blogging For Books. I just wrote a review for a cookbook with chia seeds. Great stuff! This recipe looks so good! Bon Appétit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie! You totally inspired me to read up more on chia seeds.

      Delete
  4. Yum. I love deviled eggs. I'll have to give this recipe a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm. I love deviled eggs!! I typically make mine with some olive tapenade or powdered ranch mix. I'll have to try the Tabasco and shallots. Also, seeing all of the blogging for books posts popping up lately makes me want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie it is a great program I would definitely recommend it! Those sound like tasty additions! I never thought about ranch mix.

      Delete
  6. I just love deviled eggs, when I can make eggs again I will likely make myself an entire batch - so good

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deviled eggs are my favorite! I never thought about adding tabasco to my recipe. Definately going to make some this weekend!

    ReplyDelete