Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cookbook Review: Homemade Decadence

Now that I have a kitchen that I can call my own, I am newly inspired to cook and bake. I would love to be able to give up having a corporate job to just stay home and bake all day. Maybe one day I can make that dream come true, hopefully sometime soon! All of this inspiration brings me to my latest cookbook. Joy The Baker was one of the first bloggers that I started following and that ultimately led me to start my own! There is something that draws me into her recipes; probably all of the mouth watering pictures. Also, that it does not come off as intimidating to try something new.
When I saw that Joy was putting out a cookbook I was so excited! The finished result is amazing. When I first get a new cookbook I always make a first glance list of all the recipes I want to try right away. It's a good thing I stopped trying to make a list half way through because I was writing down every single recipe. I sat down and read the book with a cup of hot cocoa and just took in all of the wonderfulness. In the introduction she says "I want you to feel confident in the kitchen" which is always what I drive home when people tell me things look hard to make or they aren't good at baking. If you go into the kitchen knowing that you are going to come out with a perfectly set cheesecake or a risen yeasted dough, you will. Like everything else, it takes practice. The first time I tried to make a vested bread for Easter, it was like a rock. The first batch never even made it past the yeast phase. I kept going though and now I understand how to work with yeast and feel confident going into the kitchen to work with it.
One thing I do not make enough of is cupcakes! Probably because when I do, I always end up with vanilla cake and vanilla frosting. It's sort of a weakness. Thank goodness Red Velvet Cake takes some time and extra effort or else I would make those all the time and up looking like a giant strawberry! I love these Brown Sugar Cupcakes and they are first on my list to make in the new apartment. That is if I can find my muffin pan.

Have you picked up a copy of Homemade Decadence? What is your go to cupcake?


Disclaimer: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review, however all views and opinions are 100% my own.

1 comment:

  1. I am obsessed with this cookbook! So far I've only had time to try one recipe, but hopefully I'll get some more time over the holidays. I can't wait to hear about the cupcake recipes you try!

    ReplyDelete