Thursday, November 6, 2014

Cookbook Review: the kitchn cookbook

When it comes to baking and cooking, the learning never ends. There is always something new to read about or a technique to try. For instance, I recently learned that you should refrain from scooping the flour out of the container with your measuring cup as it packs the flour in and alters the amount. Instead you should spoon it in, overfill it, and then level it off with the back of a knife. You can thank Johnny Iuzzini, the author of the book Sugar Rush that I recently reviewed for that tip. It can also be found in my newest addition to my cookbook collection: the kitchn cookbook! What drew me to the kitchen cookbook was that it had all of the tips and techniques one could need to start utilizing their kitchen.
"The kitchen is the most important room of the home. It's the space where we nourish ourselves and we feed the people we love." With this being the first sentence in the Introduction, I knew that this book would hold a special place on my bookshelf. If you think about it, most of the time the kitchen is the epicenter of the house. It is used for cooking, serving, entertaining and relaxing even. The kitchn cookbook drives that idea home. Along with the 150 recipes the book contains, are tips about setting up, maintaining and creating the perfect kitchn for you. While we would all love the decked out kitchens we see on Pinterest, reality is that is not what most people are working with. There are small changes you can make so that you can thrive in your kitchn.
My favorite section of the book is in Part II: How to Cook Well. Chapter 5 contains The Kitchn's Cooking School" 50 Essential Skills. Just when you think that you don't need to read the section on how to chop veggies or cut in butter, you are wrong. One I read through this section, I realized that I got set into ways that were maybe not the best. Not necessarily wrong, but not as efficient as they could be. I also learned that no matter how hard you try to make a recipe the same way twice it will never happen. There are too many variables that can change from day to day. Whether it is warm/cold or like me you are listening to a different playlist which puts you in a different mood. Don't get me wrong, it will generally be the same, but you can always notice slight differences.

What is your essential kitchn tip? Leave a comment with one thing you learned you were doing wrong!



Disclaimer: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review, however all views and opinions are 100% my own.

6 comments:

  1. This book was really intriguing to me, but I wasn't sure if it would be too basic for me. Do you think I would like it? I'm trying to decide which book to get next from Blogging for Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think you would LOVE it. It so just overflowing with information and the recipes are great too. Definitely a book I am glad to have in my arsenal. Let me know what you decide to get next!!

      Delete
  2. I love a beautiful inspiring cookbook! This looks like a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has so much information that I just want to sit and read it like a casual book before I even start cooking out of it!

      Delete
  3. I just got this cookbook from Blogging for Books too, and I love it!! I love all the tips and pictures of kitchens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that I found out about it otherwise I would have truly missed out :)

      Delete