Tuesday, October 7, 2014

In The Kitchen vol. 1 Cooking Essentials

One of the most important lessons I have been learning in the kitchen is that if you have a few key tools there's no recipe that can't be tackled. Now don't get me wrong, this is not a lecture to go out and buy everything you see below. It was not until recently that I had all of these tools, but it took me years to get everything. This is meant to be a guide for where to start.

It wasn't until I looked through my first Williams and Sonoma catalog that I even became aware of such brands as Le Creuset, Wusthof and All Clad. I had just started learning to bake when I began spending more time with someone who was making a lot of soups from scratch in the fall. It was love at first sight when I saw the Ocean colored dutch oven. From that moment on I started a "Wish List for the Kitchen" so that I could start building up my tools.

Clockwise from Left to Right: 1//2//3//4

Wusthof Knife Set:I learned to cook using a single Wusthoff Santoku knife. It is one of the most versatile knives around and I highly recommend starting there before you buy the entire set. You can either build your set, or buy one picture above, it all depends on your needs at the time. What I love about Wusthoff is the longevity. My parents bought their santoku knife about 12 years ago, and it is still in perfect condition. If you take good care of your knives, they will get a lot more use.

Bamboo Cooking Utensils:The reason I love the bamboo utensils the most is that they don't scratch any of my pans! They are also lightweight so it makes using them a lot easier on your hands. The bamboo is great too because it i crafter out of a single piece of bamboo making it less likely to crack and is resistant to stains and odor. I have made many batches of tomato sauce and still have not seen a single red stain.

Cutting Board:The type of cutting board you get is up to you, but I do recommend getting a good sized board so that you do not find yourself running out of room. This would drive me crazy trying to use the small counter ones and having no room to chop without my vegetables flying all over the kitchen. The one thing you have to do, is oil your cutting board to keep it in good shape and you will be set. A little TLC here will go a long way.

Le Creuset Dutch Oven:This is hands down my favorite thing in the entire world. I started out with one dutch oven and I now own three. I kid you not, these pans will last a lifetime if you take care of them. You can pick between the more traditional oval shape or the round, and there are a handful of sizes. Think about what you will be using it for most and go from there. If you are mostly cooking for two, go for the 3 1/2 qt.; if you are making a lot of soups and chills go for the 7 qt.; if like me you fall somewhere in-between, I would get the 5 1/2 qt. to start out as it the most universal.

Here's my disclaimer to the above: You can absolutely get similar items for far less money than what you see these brands cost. However, if you are serious about cooking and will be using them on a daily basis, it is 100% worth spending the extra money to buy higher quality as you will get a longer product life.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a dutch oven but they sound so awesome! Definitely on my wish list. I could use a good knife set, too.

    ReplyDelete