Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Cookbook Review: Sugar RUSH

One of the things I love is getting a new cookbook. If anyone saw the article in the Food Network Magazine where Ina Garten showed off her huge collection of books, that is my aspiration. As fun as it can be to look around Pinterest for new ideas and recipes. there is something so neat about flipping through a book and having something tangible to come back to. When I saw an opportunity to join a program where I could receive a new cookbook to review I was ecstatic! After buying a handful of books and being disappointed, I learned to better choose which books I would purchase. You can read all about that in my Cookbooks and Resolutions post.


One thing that I am still lacking is honed in baking skills. I can whip up a batch of cookies and throw together a peach pie, but making macarons and puff pastries are foreign territory for me. Like me you are probably sitting there thinking that you can't make these delicious treats unless you have a serious baking background. Lucky for us, Johnny Iuzzini has granted one of our wishes and created a book making it easy to 'Master Tips, Techniques and Recipes for Sweet Baking' in his new book, Sugar Rush.

The first sentence of the Introduction written by Dorie Greenspan had me hooked; "Before you even think about making Killer Chocolate Chip Cookies or Chipotle Churros with Dulce de Leche Cream, grab some coffee, settle into your favorite spot, and give yourself up to the pleasures of reading this book from cover to cover." Not only is this book filled with vivid pictures, it comes packed with tips that the average baker is probably unaware of. For instance: you should not scoop your flour out of a jar or bag with a measuring cup and then scrape off the top. Instead you should spoon the flour into your measuring cup, over filling it, and then scraping off the top. Otherwise you are scooping up more flour than the recipe actually calls for as it packs in tighter.


I love how he walks you through recipes telling you everything you need to know including not skipping over notes in the recipe like room temperature or softened. There are also a lot of recipes that walk you through step by step in pictures like the recipe above for a Chocolate Souffle with Raspberries. Johnny Iuzzini makes baking approachable in Sugar Rush for those of us that still need our hands held in the kitchen every now and then.



Disclaimer: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review, however all views and opinions are 100% my own.

2 comments:

  1. This book looks so good! I love baking and trying new types of desserts. I may need to request this book next from Blogging for Books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can we just take a minute to appreciate how AMAZING that chocolate souffle looks?? seriously, i need that in my life!

    ReplyDelete