Friday, October 31, 2014

Community Brew Vol. 5

One of the things that has been on my mind lately is how I spent most of my time growing up never reading the bible. I was confirmed in the Catholic church, and went to CCD, and I am sure that I was supposed to read the bible and probably read short passages in classes. From what I can remember though, it never mattered to me and never appealed to me. This ties into my idea of having someone choose a religion for you rather than being able to choose yourself. In the end, I am glad that I did have religion because it kept the door open for me to find my faith later in life. I can't be sure that if I did not have that foundation if I would be where I am today.

I recently started going to a women's Bible Study group on Wednesday nights with a group of women from another church. It is a lot different than the small group that I go to with the church I attend regularly in that we read passages in the Bible and then discuss them with prompted questions. I can honestly say this was the first time I sat down to read a bible. It was so powerful that the next day I went out and bought my first Bible so I could start reading on my own and have a deeper understanding. When I came into the group, they were part way into The Gospel According to John and wouldn't it be fitting that for me this was a perfect place to start.

I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.
JOHN 14:18-21

This message played over and over in my mind for the next several days as it all suddenly started making sense. No matter where you are in life, He will always be with you. He is there to guide you and walk with you, as you walk with him. This is something that I had never thought on before, but I see it now in my everyday life. He draws me into learning more and believing more as I continue on my journey.

The Community Brew link-up is brought to you by Madison of Wetherill's Say I Do and Rachel of Oh Simple Thoughts. Stop by and read their thought's on this weeks topics!

community brew link up


No comments:

Post a Comment